IPPNW world congress.
August 25. - 30., 2010.
University of Basel , Switzerland
• The Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) Review Conference taking place in New York City in May 2010
• Status report on nuclear disarmament among the traditional nuclear powers
• Status report on other nations seeking to acquire nuclear weapons
• Nuclear weapons in an increasingly polarized world and the falling threshold for deployment
• Potential for nuclear-weapon-free zones in Europe, the Arctic and the Middle East
• Continuing contamination of the biosphere from atmospheric nuclear testing in the 1950s and 1960s
• Status of the ICAN International Campaign for abolishment of nuclear weapons
• Radioactive contamination of the biosphere by nuclear fallout from nuclear power plants
• The extraction of uranium and the health effects on the populations of producer countries
• Current knowledge about radiation from low-level radioactive materials including new epidemiological research
• Interpretation of international nuclear law
The congress is intended primarily for doctors, health professionals and medical students but open to all interested persons.
Some 400 to 600 doctors from all over the world are expected to attend, along with as many as 200 medical students. Public
events are aimed at encouraging interest in the rest of the population.
IPPNW Switzerland Office
Tel.: +41 (0)61 271 50 25